Download

Financial Highlights

Surf Life Saving Foundation - Life Savers tower

How We Manage Our Revenue

The Surf Life Saving Foundation operates multiple and diverse programs through both philanthropic and charity lotteries to secure support for the movement.

Total revenues combined, including grants of $4.8 million, totalled $39.6 million. The revenue mix was Philanthropic 30.7%, Grants 12.1%, Commercial 56.9% and Other Income 0.3%.


Philanthropic Activities

The Surf Life Saving Foundation’s Philanthropic revenue saw solid growth of 9.7% this financial year compared to last year.

SLS Philanthropic Activities Revenues graph

SLS Philanthropic Activities Revenues graph

Distributions and Surpluses: This includes funds directly allocated to Surf Life Saving entities and totals 39.2% of our philanthropic revenues.

Investment in SLS Future: To deliver our aim of contributing to the financial security and viability of the Surf Life Saving movement, these funds are allocated to building advocacy and creating an ongoing supporter base (24.3%), community safety and awareness programs (18.5%) and revenue generation programs for Surf Life Saving entities (1.8%) which total 44.6% of our total philanthropic revenues.

Cost of Doing Business: Direct fundraising costs comprised expenditure for the purposes of fundraising (11.2%) and Admin & IT (5.0%). These combined amounts totalled 16.2% of our philanthropic revenues.

The figures noted above are based on figures included in the audited financial statements of The Surf Life Saving Foundation for 2017/2018 plus additional revenue of $4.8 million secured through efforts of the Grant Seeking Unit in collaboration with Surf Life Saving States, Branches and Clubs.

Suf Life Saving Foundation Lottery - Prize home marina

Charity Lotteries Activities

The Surf Life Saving Foundation operated 16 lotteries in 2017/18 selling thousands of tickets to our valued supporters with revenue remaining steady year on year. People entered draws to win prizes ranging from house and land packages to cars and cash.

Distributions & Surpluses: This includes funds directly allocated to Surf Life Saving entities and total 11.9% of our charity lotteries revenues.

Investment in SLS Future: To deliver our aim of contributing to the financial security and viability of the Surf Life Saving movement, these funds are allocated to building advocacy and create an ongoing supporter base through data acquisition (4.0%), and community safety and awareness programs (17.6%) which contribute 21.6% toward our charity lotteries revenues.

Cost of Doing Business: This is the commercial component of our business. Therefore, our investment in prizes is significant to successfully operate a program of this nature. 35.1% of funds are allocated to lottery prizes to support our ever-growing commercial activities. The remaining expenditure is used for administration, IT and fundraising activity equalling 31.4% which makes a total of 66.5% of charity lotteries revenues.

The figures noted above are based on figures included in the audited financial statements of The Surf Life Saving Foundation for 2017/18.